Skin needling is a recently embraced procedure here in the U.S.. Skin needling, also called Micro needling, has been a standard procedure in Europe for decades. Advances over the years led to the development of automated micro needling and the development of the DermaPen®.
How does skin needling work?
Highly effective on hard to treat areas, the micro needling Dermapen treatment creates an environment that is ideal for inducing and rejuvenating collagen and elastin. We pair the Dermapen with a complementary cell booster technique which feeds the basal layers of the skin with nutrients while a “vertical stamping” needling process stimulates collagen production. The Dermapen’s controlled precision creates micro injuries to the skin that encourage natural re-growth and repair and tightening. The benefit of Dermapen is that there is little downtime so treatments can be completed on an out-patient basis. We recommend a minimum of 2-3 treatments to achieve noticeable results, with 5-6 treatments providing optimal effects.The premise is simple - create a small wound and the skin will respond with collagen production and new skin cells.
Depending on the depth of the needle penetration, the DermaPen can offer skin rejuvenation levels from the simple enhancement of product absorption to the clinical treatment of scars and wrinkles.
What can the DermaPen be used for?
DermaPen allows the physician to quickly treat specific skin areas - large or small - to achieve a number of goals.
- Lip wrinkles
- Skin Texture / Tone
- Pore appearance
- Increase product absorption
- Superficial facial wrinkles
- Skin texure on the neck
- Acne Scarring / Trauma Scarring
- Melasma and Pigmentation
- Textural improvements to chest
- Stretch marks
Treatment on the face is the primary location, but skin needling can successfully be used on any area of the body.
How deep does the DermaPen go?
From very superficial penetration to deep dermal penetration, the professional applications have a wide range of potential to improve and correct skin problems without the use of lasers. Penetration ranges begin at cosmetic depth of 0.25mm to clinical treatment depths up to 2.5mm.
- Light penetration opens the skin long enough for the introduction of specific treatment serums. Since most product molecules are too large to cross the skin barrier, they can only be minimally effective.
The DermaPen opens the skin for a few minutes and this allows a huge increase of product penetration - your product ingredients can then reach beneath the surface where they will do the most good.
Treatment serums can be selected for skin lightening, hydration, texture and pore tightening.
- Mid penetration depths can have a very positive impact on superficial sun damage and light scarring to improve skin texture and tone and a visible improvement in pore size appearance.
- Deeper levels of penetration can improve acne scars, burn scars, stretch marks and tighten skin and soften wrinkles.
- DermaPen reduces the risk of post treatment pigmentation that is more prevalent with laser heat for ethnic skin (Patients will still need to use sun protection and avoid heat exposure while in the recovery phase.
- Depending on the treatment goal, you can expect to see results immediately for product introduction benefit to 4 to 6 months for scarring.
Is skin needling painful?
Superficial treatment levels are very tolerable with nothing more than topical numbing gel (the lightest application requires no numbing at all)applied prior to the treatment. In the instance of aggressive treatments, Blue Water Spa will discuss the options for making the treatment the most comfortable for you.
What about Downtime?
What Can Be Expected: (Typical moderate treatment) Day 1: Erythema and red appearance and severity will depend upon how aggressive the treatment was performed. Day 2: A red hue or pink hue persists like a moderate sunburn. Swelling may be more noticeable on the second day. Day 3: Skin can be pink or normal color. Swelling subsides. Blue Water Spa will prescribe post procedure care. Media Mentions